This recipe really lends itself to batch making. Double or even triple the broth for an easy weeknight meal to freeze. I make my meatballs all at one time and freeze what I don’t need for sandwiches, pasta, and soup. It makes putting together the soup as easy as cooking noodles, and defrosting the meatballs and broth.
Italian Meatball Soup
- 3 oz. bow tie pasta
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 c. chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, with juice
- 1/4 c. red pepper puree
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 c. beef broth
- parmesan rind
- Use your favorite recipe or see my Ricotta Meatball recipe.
- Precook pasta and set aside.
- Add oil to hot pot. Sauté onion and garlic until softened.
- Blend tomatoes until smooth.
- Add tomato puree, red pepper puree, salt, and broth to pot.
- Add parmesan rind to pot and simmer for 30 minutes. (remove rind before serving)
- Add noodles to a bowl and serve with a ladle or two of broth.
- Top with a few meatballs and a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper and parmesan.
Pin for later!