I don’t know about you, but I’m happy to continue to ride on the cupcake craze.
One of my favorite combos is a simple yellow cake with chocolate frosting. I normally go the store bought route, but this time I set out to find a simple and delicious chocolate buttercream frosting recipe. Just 5 ingredients this frosting tastes just like Sprinkles.
I found my starter recipe hiding on the back of a confectioners sugar box. Some research and combining of recipes I came to this extremely fluffy and subtle chocolate frosting.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Whip your butter on moderately high until soft and fluffy (approximately 5-7 minutes).
- Add in the rest of your ingredients and mix on low until combined.
- Scrape your sides down and increase your speed to medium-high, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides.
- Whip for about 4-5 minutes until frosting is very fluffy.
- Frost your cake and refrigerate until chilled.
True story; I frosted a few cupcakes and tossed the first batch. I just didn’t like the flavor. Later that night we enjoyed the frosted cupcakes I had chilled and they were out of this world. I ended up making up another batch to frost the rest of our cupcakes. It was part time allowing the flavors to meld and part chilled. I love cold cupcakes.